Library Reading Room 1902-1909

The first reference of a library appeared in The Alamosa Journal on March 20, 1902 when the City of Alamosa donated a room above the fire station to the Alamosa Public Library and Reading Room Association, which at the time was supported by membership fees and quarterly dues. Members of the Current Events Club and other town women volunteered their services as librarians, keeping the reading room open every afternoon and every evening, except Sunday.

3-13-1902 Town of Alamosa Board minutes – Library association requesting a room

3-1902 Article in Alamosa Journal – City Council donates Reading Room

6-1902 Article in Alamosa Journal – Alamosa Public Library and Reading Room Association

9-1902 Article in Alamosa Journal – books, magazines, membership

11-20-1902 Article from Alamosa Journal – Lunch at Oliver Hotel to benefit the library

11-27-1902 Article from Alamosa Journal – Hat Rack, Shelving and other donations

12-18-1902 Article from Alamosa Journal – book donation

1-15-1903 Library Notes – Reading Room

12-15-1905 Article from Alamosa Journal – New books